Summer Dance Intensive
July 22-August 5, 2019
The NYCDA Summer Dance Intensive will be hosted at the brand new, state of the art, facilities of the Pace University Performing Arts and Dance Department.
Take a Look! Pace University - New Performing Arts Building
2019 Schedule of Events
|July 21||Arrival and Welcome!|
|July 23-August 2||Full Summer Dance Intensive|
|August 3||Showcase Tech/Dress Rehearsal|
|August 4||Showcase Performance 3:00 PM|
Daily Schedule Sample
|9:00 - 10:30||Ballet/Pilates|
|10:30 - 12:00||Jazz/Contemporary|
|12:00 - 1:00||Lunch|
|1:00 - 2:30||Seminars/Class|
|2:30 - 4:00||Specialty Class|
|4:00 - 6:00||Rehearsal or Specialty Class|
|6:00 - 7:00||Rehearsal or Activity|
|7:00 - 9:00||Dinner|
Maria’s Towers Dorm
One Pace Plaza, NYC
Located in the main tower of the New York City campus, this residence hall comprises floors five through seventeen, and houses approximately 550 first-year Pace students. Each double occupancy room features a wall-to-wall carpeting, an Ethernet connection (NO CORD PROVIDED) and wireless internet throughout the building (each dancer receives a code). Residents are just a short elevator ride away from the dining facilities and the Schimmel Center for the Arts!
Dorm rooms with bathrooms on each floor
- Free Laundry on each floor
- 24 hour security and safe deposit boxes
- Air conditioning in each room
- Check-in is Sunday, July 21st, 2019. Check-out is Monday, August 5th, 2019. (dancers may check out after the performance on August 4)
- *NYCDA will provide live-in chaperones. A 10:30 PM curfew will be enforced for all dancers.
- The NYCDA Summer Dance Intensive will be limited to 100 dancers.
- All dancers will be notified by May 17, 2019.
- A 25% tuition deposit will be due by May 24, 2019. Second payment will be due by June 10, 2019. Full tuition will be due by June 28, 2019.
- No refunds will be made after June 28, 2019. Refunds prior to June 27 will be subject to a 10% administrative fee.
*A very limited number of scholarships will be made available based upon financial need. Those applying for scholarships should include a letter indicating need and copies of the last two years parental tax returns. All Convention Triple Threat Winners with submitted applications will be considered for 1 of 8 $500 scholarships – based solely on merit as demonstrated by their application materials.
Tuition with Room and Board: $3750*
Tuition Alone (includes Lunch Daily): $3150*
* Includes admission to a Broadway show and potentially other performances.
The NYCDA Summer Dance Intensive will accept a limited enrollment of aspiring professional dancers ages 14-19. Dancers who are 13 years old and have been granted automatic acceptance via an Outstanding Dancer scholarship or Triple Threat award will also be accepted.
All prospective NYCDA Summer Dance Intensive students must provide the following:
- Completed online application form
- Photo or headshot with a resumé, if available
- ONE letter of recommendation from a dance instructor or qualified dance professional.
- Video (required of ALL dancers in attendance for audition/placement – see guidelines below).
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Non-refundable Application Fee of $35.00 paid by credit card.
- *A 1”x1” photo for identification card.
All applications must be submitted by April 7, 2019. Regional Outstanding Dancers, runners-up, NYCDA Convention Triple Threat winners and Onstage NY Title and Triple Threat winners from convention/competition dates following April 7 will have 2 weeks after their attended convention/competition to submit their paperwork and claim their spot in the program. Entire Application process and video placement still required of ALL accepted dancers.
All dancers with complete applications will be notified by May 17, 2019.
*Applicants who would like to apply for need-based financial aid may submit a letter of circumstance, with two years of parental tax returns with all social security information erased. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicant's name in the subject field.
VIDEO AUDITION GUIDELINES
All audition videos must include the following:
- Video intro of dancer stating name, age, and all material presented on the video.
- Ballet - (required) Present both a short adagio and grande allegro combination demonstrating control, line, extension, jumps and turns.
- Jazz - (required) Present short jazz and/or lyrical combination.
- Solo performance piece is not required but may be submitted. Up to three different solos may be presented to demonstrate a variety of styles - 3 minutes max each.
- Tap - not required but suggested if you tap.
- Singing - not required but suggested. All dancers will participate in some level of Vocal Training classes within the program. Include live vocal presentation of a Broadway uptempo and ballad.
Maximum video length is 15 minutes.
CURRICULUM and SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES
- Experience it ALL: jazz, ballet, tap, contemporary, modern, hip hop, voice, stretching techniques, auditioning, ballroom, theatre arts, choreography, improv, yoga, musical theater, partnering and more
- Attend Special Industry Seminars unique to NYCDA. Meet a variety of industry professionals including Broadway choreographers, casting directors, dance company members, nutritionists, physical therapists and more. Topics range from ‘writing a resume’ to ‘getting the job.’ Be informed! Audition workshops have included "Cats", "On Your Feet", “Come Fly Away,” “In The Heights,” “Legally Blonde,” “42nd Street” and "Hamilton.” Special workshops have also included such notable companies as Hubbard Street, Twyla Tharp and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
- We’re in NYC – let’s go see a Broadway show! Plus – dancers will have a private Question & Answer session with the CAST after the show! Get all your questions answered from the professionals who’ve made it to Broadway! They were once teenagers with big dreams too!
- Don’t forget about the city! Come have a blast sight-seeing, shopping, dining and more....in the city that has it all!
- Showcase Performance on August 4th. Impress your family and friends with your amazing accomplishments in just two weeks! Everyone is welcome to this free Sunday afternoon performance.
Questions? Email email@example.com