2019 National Finals Competition Divisions and Fees
|Solo||$130.00||3 minute max|
|Duo/Trio||$80.00 per dancer||3 minute max|
|Group (4-9)||$65.00 per dancer||3 minute max|
|Line (10-15)||$65.00 per dancer||3 minute max|
|Extended Line (16-24)||$65.00 per dancer||4 minute max|
|Small Production (12-24)||$65.00 per dancer||5 minute max|
|Large Production (16+)||$65.00 per dancer||6 minute max|
|Extended Sm Prod (12-24)||$65.00 per dancer||6 minute max|
|Extended Lg Prod (16+)||$65.00 per dancer||8 minute max|
You may purchase up to 3 additional minute of time for any group, line extended line, or production- just $5 per dancer, per minute!
(Each dance studio may apply their own additional fees, when necessary.)
* NYCDA Regional Critics' Choice Award & Studio Stand Out Award Winners winners receive FREE Competition entry fees for that entry at the 2019 National Season Finale! Studio must note/request free entry fees when registering.
Preliminary Qualifying Competition
- 2019 Preliminary Competition will be by video submission. Submission Deadline is Friday June 7, 2019.
- All Regional Competition Guidelines and Regional Entry Fees apply.
- All Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, and Silver winners in the Preliminary Competition qualify to compete in the NYCDA National Finals Competition.
- All Preliminary entries must submit double entry fees: Preliminary fees AND National Finals Fees. Preliminary entries that do not qualify for National Finals will receive fee reimbursements. All fee must be received by May 3, 2019.
- The overall number of entries for the Preliminary Qualifying Competition will be limited to the time available. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- Entries for the National Finals must have qualified at either a NYCDA Regional Competition or the Preliminary Qualifying Competition.
- Overall number of entries will be limited to the time available. Entries will accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- A deduction of 10 points will be made for entries that do not comply with set time limitations.
- All fees are due with entry forms or online registration - received by May 3, 2019. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Competition fees may be paid by credit card or studio business check in advance, only. Make all checks payable to: NYC DANCE ALLIANCE. No Canadian or International checks will be accepted - US bank money orders only.
National Finals Regulations
- ALL REGIONAL COMPETITION GUIDELINES APPLY.
- All competing dancers and their teachers, must be registered for the entire National Season Finale! workshop.
- All fees are due with entry forms or at the time of online registration. No entry fees are refundable.
- The deadline for competition changes is 2 weeks prior to the convention. No changes will be accepted after this date.
- Competing dancers may enter as many categories as desired, as long as they never compete against themselves.
- Competing dancers may for one studio only.
- Schools with multiple locations may compete as separate studios as long as there is no mixing of dancers from each location. No combing of dancers allowed for extra discounts.
- Professional dancers are welcome for the workshop but will not be permitted to compete if over age 18.
- Soloists do not need to be entered in a Group, Line, or Production number. Soloists must have a registered teacher for the Workshop.
- Teachers may only compete in the Open (19+) age division.
- Entries in the Open (19+) Division are not eligible for Critics' Choice Awards.
- Studios may substitute an entry of identical dancers, age, performance, and competition divisions for a pre-qualified entry from a Regional Competition.
- PROPS: Studios are responsible for the transportation, storage, and removal of all props. Fees may apply.
- No dangerous props may be used during the competition (swords, fire, etc.). General props are allowed but must be taken on and off stage expeditiously. Any unnecessary delay will result in a 5 point deduction. Please have a clean-up crew ready for any "litter" left on stage.
- Excessive scenery and special lighting may only be utilized with pre-approval from NYCDA.
- Tap sounds on the recordings of tap numbers will result in a 5 point deduction.
- Entry numbers containing more than 2 gymnastic passes must be entered in the Specialty or Open Division. Otherwise, 5 points will be deducted and the entry will be moved to the appropriate division.
- Competing dancers should be ready 30 minutes prior to their scheduled competition time. If the competition is running ahead of schedule, you will be expected to perform.
- Competing dancers must perform in the scheduled sequence unless special permission is granted by the M.C. Intentional manipulation of performance schedule will result in disqualification.
- Competing dancers and their teachers are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship and general support of all participants.
- Competition Music should be uploaded PRIOR to Nationals! Additional Information will be sent with Competition Schedules.
- Additionally, you may provide your competition music on USB at Registration. Please have a backup available for each entry.
- Each Audio Track must be labeled in the following format: 3 Digit Entry # - Title of Entry - Studio Code Letter.
- Music Files should be in a Mac compatible format such as .mp3, .wav, etc.
- It is recommended that all music be recorded in a non-dolby format with audio recorded on both left and right channels.
- Studios shall be responsible for maintaining proper licenses for any and all music used in any performance by participants of the Studio.
- Any financial penalties related to the violation of any copyright laws will be passed on to the studio.
NYCDA prides itself in maintaining a professional, classy, and family environment. Our 'age appropriate' criteria will continue to appear on every score sheet - under Costuming, Music Choice, and Choreography. Necessary deductions will be taken. Disqualification may result, at the discretion of the judges.
Video and Photography
- Video taping and flash photography are STRICTLY PROHIBITED during the entire event. (Disqualification may result.)
- Professional quality photos and videos of the competition will be available for purchase on-site.
- Registered Teachers with ID Lanyards will be permitted to tape the last 15 minutes of Workshop Classes only.
- All dancers authorize the use of their image in photos and videos for NYCDA publicity and advertisement purposes.
- Admission to all regular competitions is free. Tickets must be purchased for the Junior Gala and for the Closing Night Gala.
- Audience will be allowed to enter and exit between numbers only. Doors will be closed during performances.
- Teachers of competition dancers will be given reserved seating. However, absolutely no visual coaching is allowed.
Judging & Awards
All National Finals entries will be adjudicated on a point system by a panel of judges. Platinum, High Gold, Gold, High Silver, Silver and Bronze awards will be presented based on the following combined scores. (As part of our continued effort to push the boundaries of education, motivation and inspiration, we expand the HIGH GOLD category at the National level.)
|Platinum:||292 - 300|
|High Gold:||288 - 291|
|Gold:||282 - 287|
|High Silver:||276 - 281|
|Silver:||264 - 275|
|Bronze:||240 - 263|
High Score Awards
Body Wrappers proudly sponsors the High Score Soloist Awards.
|1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place|
|Extended Sm. Production:||$500||$400||$300|
|Extended Lg. Production:||$500||$400||$300|
- Each Competition Division in each of the Mini, Junior, Teen and Senior age divisions must contain at least six entries to warrant the awarding of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards. Otherwise, only 1st Place will be awarded.
- Each performer may only place one time in Overall High Score Soloists.
National Critics' Choice Awards
Dance Magazine is the exclusive sponsor of the NYCDA Crittics' Choice Awards
|National Mini Critics' Choice Award:||$2,500|
|National Junior Critics' Choice Award:||$2,500|
|National Teen Critics' Choice Award:||$2,500|
|National Senior Critics' Choice Award:||$2,500|
- The FIVE overall high scores in the Group, Line, and Production Divisions from the Mini/Junior National Competition Finals and the SIX overall high scores in the Group, Line, and Production Divisions from the Teen/Senior National Competition Finals are eligible for the NYCDA NATIONAL CRITICS' CHOICE AWARDS.
- Each studio will be limited to ONE Critics Choice Finalist in each of the Mini, Junior, Teen and Senior Age Divisions. Studios may not compete against themselves for a Critics' Choice Award.
- The FIVE entries in both the Mini and Junior Divisions will be invited to perform at the Junior Gala for final adjudication.
- The SIX entries in each of the Teen and Senior Divisions will be invited to perform at the Closing Night Gala for final adjudication.
- The resulting high scores in each age division will be honored with the NYCDA NATIONAL CRITICS' CHOICE AWARDS.
|Performance and Interpretation||20%|
|Choreography and musicality||20%|
- All decisions by the panel of judges will be final.
- Judges' score sheets and critiques may be picked up at the Registration Desk on the morning following the competition. These items will be given to the teacher only.